If we ever get the pleasure of working on a project together, there is one thing you’ll learn about me: I love all things process-related! Professionally there is nothing that gives me a giant rush of endorphins like keeping your project on schedule.
Here are my eight recommendations to ensure that you meet your project deadlines.
1. Write down all project tasks and milestones. Then, break them up into actionable steps. For each piece of the project, decide what needs to happen next and who is the right person for the job.
2. Assign reasonable project deadlines. Save yourself and others the hassle of setting unrealistic deadlines. Start out by understanding the complexity of the work and find a realistic amount of time it needs to get done well.
3. Schedule a deadline for each task and milestone. You are less likely to meet a deadline if it is not scheduled ahead of time. A few of my favorite tools for project tracking are Google Calendar, Trello, and EverNote.
4. Hold yourself and others accountable for keeping their deadlines. This will help motivate you to stay on schedule.
5. Review each of the moving pieces of the project weekly. This will allow you to adjust your project schedule when the inevitable “bump in the road” occurs.
6. Set aside 90 minutes of uninterrupted time on your calendar each week to work on big tasks.
7. Focus your time and attention on one task at a time.
8. Take 10 minutes at the end of each day to plan the next day.
Sounds easy, right? Now put it into practice and hold yourself accountable! And, of course, if you need help managing your next digital project, contact 9thWonder today and we’ll be happy to help you out!